<%@LANGUAGE="JAVASCRIPT" CODEPAGE="1252"%> Type 61 Frigate
 

 

Type 61 Cathedral Class

Also known as the Salisbury Class, the Type 61 was similar to the Type 41, the same hull and general layout was used, four of each were ordered in June 1951. The Type 61 was laid down first but delays in completion meant the the Type 41 entered service first. In the Type 61 the aft turret was deleted in favour of a 3D 982 Aircraft Direction radar and an extended Operations Room.

Original displacement was designed at 1,738 tons standard and 2,185 full load, but when completed they were 1,950 tons standard and 2,450 full load. Original specification was for 16,000 SHP but in the event no suitable steam plant was available and diesel option was restricted to 12,400 SHP. The first all welded and fully pre-fabricated ships in the RN, designed to be mass produced.

Ships like the Type 61 could operate with a convoy and summon and direct air support from Carriers operating either as escorts or more likely in hunter killer groups.

The 982 aircraft direction radar and later 985 derivitive was only ever fitted to some aircraft carriers beside the Type 61, I know next to nothing about them except the antenna was known as the "Hayrake" and on the carriers they were replaced by the massive 984 radar which looks like a giant searchlight.

The more conventional 960 air warning as used on the Type 41 was also replaced with the 965 as on the Type 41, but the "Double Bedstead" was used, the great AKE(2) which weighed in at 4 tons.

The STAAG was removed and replaced with a twin Mk V Bofors 40mm, and on Lincoln, Salisbury, Chichester & Llandaff this was replaced with the early GWS-20 Seacat system. Squid was fitted to all the class but removed when it became obsolete, neither class ever carried anti-submarine measures in later life.

As with the Type 41 their long range and fuel economy made them ideal for the South America and South Atlantic Patrols. A fifth ship, HMS Exeter, was ordered but then postponned and finaly cancelled.

Ultimatly though their peace time roles were too restricted once Labour cancelled the carrier program and ran down the Fleet Airarm and they were retired to reserve in Chatham and scrapped when Chatham was closed, only Llandaff surviving to be sold to Bangladesh where she still serves as a training ship.

HMS Salisbury was the first diesel powered ship built by the Royal Navy and ended up the last in service.


HMS Chichester, the value of radar pickets had been well established during WWII, the Type 61 aimed to provide fighter direction over a convoy without actualy having to place a carrier in radar range.
HMS Lincoln, the hull design of the Type 61/41 proved to be a great success with excellent sea keeping capabilities, this would be improved even further with the longer Type 12.

HMS Llandaff with twin 40mm Mk V Bofors on her stern.
Llandaff was the only ship of the class to be fitted with a 500KW gas turbine generator in place of one of her electrical generators.


HMS Chichester firing her Squid Mortar. Shown as built with the STAAG mounting in place of the aft turret on the Type 41. 982 Fighter Direction radar is just forward of the STAAG and the fragile looking 906 aerial on top of the mainmast. The 277Q height finder radar on the stump mast ahead of the foremast is pointing toward the carrier. Although an aircraft direction ship her speed precluded her from Fleet Operations except as a radar picket in a fixed location since she could not keep up with a Carrier Group who would sail at 30 knots.

Ship
Pennant
Laid Down
   Launched  
Commissioned
Builder
Notes
Salisbury F32 23-1-1952 25-6-1953 27-2-1957 Devonport 30-9-1985 sunk as target
Chichester F59 26-6-1953 31-4-1954 16-5-1958 Fairfield, Clyde 1981 scrapped
Llandaff F61 17-8-1953 10-11-1955 11-4-1958 Hawthorn Leslie, Tyne 1956 damaged after breaking her moorings in a storm, 1976 sold to Bangladesh as Oomar Farooq
Lincoln F99 20-5-1955 6-4-1959 7-7-1960 Fairfield, Clyde 1983 scrapped
A fifth ship, HMS Coventry, was laid down, in line with the plan to increase the strength of both the Type 41 and Type 61 to five, but construction was halted and the ship was completed as the Type 12(I) Leander Class Frigate HMS Penelope.

HMS Salisbury post refit. The 4 ton AKE(2) now mounts the mainmast, both masts have been replaced with solid type in place of the previous lattice masts. Seacat has been fitted with the GWS-20 director up near the third mast with the Hayrake antenna of 985
Originally Salisbury was completed without stabilisers or variable pitch propellors.

 
As Built
Post Refit
Displacement 2,170 tons standard, 2,350 tons full load  
Length 340 ft  
Beam 40 ft  
Draught 15.5 ft  
Complement 207 224
Engines 8 ASR1 diesels manufactured by Vickers Aemstrong of Barrow, except Llandard which are by British Polar of Glasgow, 12,400 shp, 2 shafts, variable pitch propellors on all but Salisbury (possibly retro fitted)  
Speed 24 knots  
Endurance 7,500 nm at 16 knots  
Fuel 230 tons  
Generators 4 dedicated Diesels powering generators except Llandarf which has three and one 500KW Gas Turbine Generator.  
Sonar 174 search
170 Squid attack
Unknown
Radar 982 Fighter Direction
960 air warning
293Q target indication
277Q height finder
974 navigation
275 on Mk6M Director
262 on STAAG
Type 1010 Cosser IFF
986 Fighter Direction
965 air warning with AKE(2) antenna
993 target indication
278 height finder
978 navigation
275 on Mk6M Director
Type 1010 Cossor IFF
Weapons 1 twin 4.5" Mk 6 gun
Twin 40mm STAAG
Triple barrel Squid ASW mortar
1 twin 4.5" Mk 6 gun
Twin Mk V 40mm Bofors (Seacat GWS-20 on Llandaff and Chichester)